Going Green

This year has found our family of 4 wanting to live greener and eat healthier. We've changed a lot of our habits in the past few months and we're learning so much.
I'll post our ideas about what has worked for us and what hasn't in hopes that it will help others who are wanting to start their journey of Going Green!

Clean up! Clean up!


A few weeks ago I found a website about an under-sink makeover that took a lot of harmful chemicals out of our cleaning repertoire. I didn't rush out and throw everything away but I've been using my homemade cleaners a lot more and supplementing with a few of the old products I still have. I checked out a few home made cleaner books from the library and googled the topic until I had way too many sites bookmarked. It's a popular trend so the info is everywhere. You can make a solution to clean anything and there's a good chance you have most of the ingredients in your cabinets without even trying.

1) Vinegar - This is like the natural wonder product apparently. It does just about anything I need it to. The dollar store sells a large jug for a $1 and it's a very handy thing to have around the house. Did you know that vinegar is a weed killer? Or that you can make a vinegar and water mix to clean moss off of anything, even tree bark? Vinegar and baking soda is a well known combo that is great on tough kitchen counter messes. Vinegar and water in a spray bottle can be used as an all purpose disinfectant. Spray bottles from the dollar store are a cheap way to mix up solution to keep on hand. Apparently some vinegar is made from petroleum (??) so make sure your bottle says made from plants or something similar. I also read that stubborn weeds can be killed easier with a higher grade vinegar, like those that can be found at restaurant supply stores.

2) Lemon - Lemon juice or rind can be mixed with water to make a simple air freshener. It has taken care of some funky kitchen smells here. Lemon is also a disinfectant so it can be added to all purpose cleaner mixes as well.

3) Borax - I love this stuff. I use it as a prewash for laundry and it has helped with brightening and stain removing. It's gentle enough that it doesn't irritate the baby's skin (which is super sensitive!) It is a great product to soak that toddler tshirt that is covered in strawberry juice and popsicle stains. It can be used in bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms and on upholstery. You can find it with the detergent at the grocery store.

4) Seventh Generation All Purpose Cleaner - Okay so I obviously don't make this one but it's a great product. It has a good smell and is made from plant material. It kills 99.9% of bacteria and I use it as my heavy hitter for after meal cleanup and for the sink at the end of the day.

5) Plant based dish soap - I have seen several of these on the shelves at stores recently which is awesome! Sam's Club brand Member's Mark EcoResponsible has a great one that is inexpensive ($7.88 for 135 oz) and effective. It is made from biodegradable and plant based ingredients and contains no phosphates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment